What’s 7 Free and Why You Should Be Using Non-Toxic Nail Polishes.

Do you ever find yourself decoding beauty ingredient labels? Many brands claim their products are safe and natural but are still filled with many chemicals. When you think about getting a manicure and pedicure you envision a relaxing experience, but instead, the chemicals in your nail polish could be giving you long-term health problems.  The Environmental Protection Agency classifies nail polish as a hazardous household waste 

Familiarize Yourself With The Toxins:

Formaldehyde: Keeps the nail polish from breaking when it dries, can cause allergic reactions. It is a commonly used chemical to preserve dead things like humans and animals. It is a known human carcinogen, a factor directly involved in causing cancer that can cause ear, nose, throat, and skin irritations.

Dibutyl Phthalate: Another plasticizer that adds elasticity and extends the lifespan of the polish that has been linked to cancer.  This toxin was added to the California Proposition 65 list of suspected teratogens, which are agents that cause malformations of an embryo.

Toluene: Which is used as a solvent to ensure a smooth and blended formula, is also added to gasoline to produce benzene. You can be exposed to this toxin by breathing it in or getting it on your skin, causing irritation.A possible reproductive and developmental toxin that causes headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. It can cause liver, kidney and brain damage, as well as damage to a developing fetus. 

Formaldehyde Resin: Which is a derivative of Formaldehyde, mainly used in the production of coatings and adhesives. which add flexibility and gives the polish staying power, can cause skin inflammation and s a skin allergen known to cause dermatitis.

Camphor:  Which prevents polish from cracking or chipping right away. In large enough doses, it can potentially cause nausea, respiratory distress and even seizures. This is a scented substance derived from the wood of the camphor tree, and acts as a cover on your nails, depriving them of nutrients and causing yellow staining on your nails.

Triphenyl Phosphate (TPHP) is a chemical used in plastics to improve flexibility and as a flame retardant. A handful of animal studies and in vitro studies have suggested that it could be anendocrine disrupter which affects your hormones – in particular, it could potentially affect reproductive health and lipid metabolism.

Xylene is irritating to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It can cause systemic toxicity by ingestion or inhalation. The most common route of exposure is via inhalation. Symptoms of xylene poisoning include CNS effects (hea ventricular arrythmias, acute pulmonary edema, respiratory depression, nausea, vomiting, and reversible hepatic impairment.

Your nails are made of keratin, a protein made of dead cells. If nail polish is being placed on dead cells what’s the big deal? Your nails are actually quite absorbent, especially when exposed to a combination of solvents and chemicals that are found in nail polish. Let’s not forget about the absorption through your cuticles and surrounding skin, that are potentially getting into your bodily systems. There is no way to have a chemical free nail polish but you can find safer alternatives. When shopping for nail polish try your best to stay away from at least the toxic trio-toluene, formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate if you cant find a 7 free product.